Monday, February 1, 2010

Peppermint Pizza

Over the years I have been carried along on the journey by my mom in a search for good health.
It started simple.

1. food with natural ingredients
2. organic foods
3. juicing green things and other vegetables that you never thought you would consume
4. growing flax seeds and many other things
5. Herbal concoctions to deal with illnesses
6. Homeopathic remedies
7. Energy massage therapy...

And that just about brings me to today's adventure. After going to a 2 hour informational meeting the other week, my mom decided to make me the test subject for this thing called RAINDROP THERAPY...

A lot of you all probably know what essential oils are. You can find them at the health food store they are popular with yoga studios and sometimes the source of that "hippy smell".

I bet you didn't know that there are people who swear by these little potent bottles as the source of their good health.

Essential oils were defined to me as the life and blood of a plant. Sounds serious.
The people using them are serious... they have these complex ways of procuring and refining the essential oils because after all that is some life and blood you will be consuming-

So speaking of consuming them, yes it is recommended that not only you rub them in your skin, but that you mix them with water and drink, drop some in your mouth, and in extreme cases get IVs of them. As crazy as it may sound essential oils are believed to sanitize, heal burns, mend broken bones, and in some cases they have been shown to "cure" cancer. Not to mention all the mental and emotional benefits. These are more than just fragrances people!

Now, what I experienced today wasn't quite as extreme as getting an IV of essential oils, but it wasn't as basic as a massage. Actually, it was something more spiritual.
A Raindrop therapy is basically the layering of 9 essential oils on your body.

She started with my feet dropping an oil on the bottoms of my feet and then doing a specific massage with each oil. They start with the feet because it is one of the places where your skin is the most porous. Also, something was mention about your foot skeleton being important. It is always a funny feeling having someone else touch your feet. In our society people are expected to be grossed out by your feet- its a given. I think that's weird. It's still a part of the body. I mean if anything people should be grossed out by hands since those are what go around touching the most. Anyway, as she finished the foot part I noticed at the end that she held my feet in her hands, but she held them with her hands crossed at the wrists. I thought that was interesting. I asked her afterward and she said it is the way to sink energy and as a healer she knows when that give and take moment has been reached just by holding my feet that way. wow.

After the feet comes the spine. It was similar in that she layered each essential oil on at a time and each had a corresponding massage, but before the massage each time she did a technique called feathering. The feathering technique of spreading the oil across the back is meant to create goosebumps which increases the surface area for the oil to absorb in. She said I was good at getting goosebumps. First, I didn't know that someone could be "good" at getting goosebumps. Second, I'm not sure that is the best thing to be good at...

The therapy took about an hour and had a lot of intricate details for each step. After we talked about the process and what each of us had experienced. It was so interesting to know what I had felt and to hear her say what she had seen in my body at its reaction during that same time. It was really informative and I feel like I learned about myself and my body. OH and just with this light "massage/touching" she evened out my shoulders (they were slanted) and I grew about a half an inch!

I highly suggest that anyone who has the resources and an open mind to alternative medicine look into Raindrop Therapy. It is a healing and detoxing experience. And who doesn't need that with this intense, beautiful, and sometimes scary world.

One deterrent- the oils used are basil thyme organo margerum and some others... ending with peppermint. Some of them and such a warming effect (to the point of stinging) and some a cooling effect. I left with chills!

Oh and yes, I left smelling like a peppermint pizza. delicioso.

No comments:

Post a Comment